Saturday, May 3, 2014

Dozer the Cassanova



The Dozer, Cassanova...


 When the Mares, Doonie and Pecos, went to work on the road, 
Dozer decided it was time to round up a few new fillies...


He had stopped checking in and then we got word that he and Chopo had moved into the local Horse Sanctuary herd...


So it was time for them to come home... Chopo was the only one that would be caught though... 


 Dozer was elusive, so a special trip was organized to bring him in...


 As soon as he saw us Dozer began to bunch his herd and ducked into the barn...


Apparently he has taken up with this big draft horse...


 She watched quietly while all the other horses trotted around wondering what we were up to...


Dozer did a lot of running around.. he is fun to watch, none of the other horses around have the beautiful extension that his legs naturally have...


It was also interesting to watch him round up the herd. They were not interested in going anywhere especially after having been chased home once by Chopo and dad...
 

So they idled nearby watching the activity...

 

...while Dozer ran circles and half moons around them collecting them all together...



Dozer has a lot of charisma and some experience running his own harem, so the efficiency that he shows in rounding up his mares is real...


Luna, the dun in the rear is also from the Jicarilla.. 
she and her daughter share some of that beautiful elegant wildness..


...they seem to get along well with my boy... 


 The only one that doesn't like the Doz is this chestnut, left of the black draft...



I am pretty sure Dozer's plan (though too soon forced into action) was to bring his new herd back to our range and his querencia south of SunStar...


I was sorry to break up his fun, but he is a domestic horse now...


These bums WISH they had a job...



The Chestnut kept showing his displeasure with Dozer, 
though it appears that the worst of it had already been expressed through hoof and tooth...

 

 ...busy boy...


Dozer's cavalry blood shines through when he is in his element...



 ...Fancy Mover...


I asked Dozer for a kiss, and though he hesitated, blinked and turned his ears, 
his overriding need to be a studly horse took him away again...









Dozer would have had the whole herd in the palm of his hoof, had it not been for that chestnut...












 In the end, the disturbance caused by me on foot and dad on Chopo was too much for the horses and they asked Dozer to leave... Doz took off toward home and was followed in HOT pursuit by Chopo who wanted Dozer to behave.  


 The Doz ran all the way home (three miles+)... but couldn't stay, and continued on another mile south to his safe place on the range.. Chopo and dad still hot on his heels.



They looped around another couple miles before I saw a tired Dozer walking home down the road... maybe... to be sure I drove up and cut him off from heading back to the Sanctuary...


He saw me and almost all the urge to disagree dissapeared...


He walked home. But he still was amped up and wanted to take off again, through a fence maybe...
I walked up to him, and though I almost had his allegiance, I didn't entirely have him...


...until the maremma puppy walking with me waltzed right up to him, licked his leg and lay down preventing his movement. The pup calmed him and I walked over with my bale twine.


He won't admit it, but he was glad to be home. 
I will admit it, I was Very happy to have him back. Even though I had to go back to work with the goats in Alameda... I wish I was taking him with me... Soon he will be on the road and I in the saddle, just as soon as he is HOA bombproof approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment